Helpful Self Storage Tips
Tips for Storing Organizing Your Property in Your Storage Unit
- Keep frequently used items at the front of your unit where you can get at them easily.
- Save space and make best use of your storage area by stacking to the ceiling, heaviest items at the bottom, lightest items at the top.
- To protect your items from moisture and dust, pack your storage unit as tightly as possible. For proper ventilation, leave a small airspace between your stored items and the wall of the storage unit.
- Prepare to stack. Break down furniture with removable legs or other parts. Stack chairs seat-to-seat with towels/blankets between them.
- Prevent odors by draining the tank of gas-powered lawnmowers and leaf blowers before you put it in your unit.
- Protect the spines of books by packing them flat, not standing on end.
- Place mattresses in plastic covers to protect them from dust and moisture.
- To prevent condensation, keep furniture items off the floor by placing them on wooden pallets and place blankets over them to protect from dust and scratches. Then, cover everything with plastic sheeting.
- Have blankets, draperies and clothing cleaned, then pack them on hangers in wardrobe boxes.
- Wrap fragile items inside bubble wrap and store with linens.
- Label. Label. Label. Then you’ll know what’s in each box without having to open it.
- Empty, clean and dry appliances prior to storage. Store upright with doors ajar.
- Secure your storage unit with a high quality disc (round) padlock.
For even more self storage tips, contact Tamarac Self Storage at 518.279.4406.